Thursday, August 27, 2009

Track Nationals

I am in Burnaby, BC, for the Canadian Track National Championships right now. This is my 2nd time at Nationals as an Elite rider.

For the 3 days leading up to Nationals, I took part in a National Team camp that was all about team pursuit. We practiced starts, flying kilos and the like. We figured out teams for nationals, and I will be riding with Matt Potma, Mike Sidic, and Zach Bell.

As for today's racing... it didn't go so well. My plan was to start off at 14.5 second laps, and gradually bring it down to 14.0 s laps, depending on my legs. The person who road opposite me decided to ride 13.5 s laps to start, and end up at 15.0 s. Unfortunately, this meant that he passed over me at about 13 laps to go, and proceeded to slow down right in front of me. I was stuck behind him, knowing that if I were to pass him again, I would be DQed. I couldn't allow myself to just take a time of 5 minutes, almost last place pursuit. I ended up passing him, just to see what kind of time I could do. I ended up getting a time of 4:52, but a result of "Relegated".

Hopefully the rest of the week goes a bit better.

Friday - Team Pursuit, Scratch Race
Saturday - Points Race
Sunday - Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment