Friday, July 31, 2009

Pan-Ams Retrospective

This has been quite the experience. A few days after arriving, I went out for a two hour road ride with two Mexicans, one Aruban, and one other Canadian. Since it takes over an hour to get out of the city, we were stuck on the chaotic roads of Mexico City. Though terrifying, it was a great way to see the city. After that road ride, all riding was done on the velodrome, rollers, or on the Indy car track next to the velodrome.


I ended up only racing the scratch race, which took place on August 27th. This was a 15km, 40 lap race. With some good advice from team mates, I ended up off the front in almost every break, but spending very little energy. Unfortunately, none of the breaks stuck. With about four laps to go, I found myself at the back of the pack. The next two laps were spent throwing elbows to move up in the pack. With two laps to go, I found myself on the very front of the pack. Not being able to maintain such a fast pace, 13 riders came over me, putting me in 14th position overall out of 24 starters. David Boily, the other Canadian ended up in 5th place with an awesome sprint to finish the race.




Canada ended up in third place overall, behind Columbia and Cuba, with 11 medals. Full results are at http://www.copaci.co.cu/




Next racing should be T-town again on August 7th and 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment